ATLANTA (February 4, 2015) – A new The Weather Channel® App for Windows Phone is for true weather enthusiasts who want a full view of the weather with the expertise, technology and scale of The Weather Channel. The app’s new design and interface make it easy to use. A new social feature lets fans report your local conditions – you help improve the forecast. The app is now available from the Windows Phone Store.
“We learn a lot from our fans, and we’ve listened carefully in order to deliver the best weather app on Windows Phone,” said Nikki Santoro, vice president of product & design for The Weather Channel. “This app is not only powered by the most accurate forecast data, but it also pairs a more streamlined look and feel with contextually relevant tools that help users plan their day.”
Enjoy your best day outside with a new design and new features
- New live tile – Opt for a live tile to follow you for current weather wherever you are, or also select specific locations to keep tabs on their conditions.
- Find weather faster – A beautiful new design and simple interface makes the app easy to use.
- Learn the effect of weather – A simple phrase on the app home screen explains what differing conditions mean for you, ie. “occasional rain likely to begin at 4 p.m.”
- Smoother radar maps – The radar map loads faster and more smoothly, with past and future radar and map layers such as cloud, radar, water temperature, wind speed, snow cover or more. You can also active hurricane tracking and view severe weather alerts for storm tracking or tornado activity.
- Discover deeper, more engaging content – With improved navigation, swipe sideways for your saved locations. A vertical scroll unveils current conditions, hourly and 10-day forecasts, radar, video, news and more.
- Get the info you need – Get in-depth current details, such as “feels like” temperature, wind, dew point, humidity, visibility, pressure, UV index, and sunrise and sunset times. Also find a 36-hour summary, hourly details out to 48 hours, and a 10-day forecast.
- Become your own weather forecaster – Introducing Social Weather on Android, the app lets you report and share your weather conditions or see what others in your area are saying about your current weather.
- Help improve the forecast – With Social Weather reports, you can help find and improve the forecast for hard-to-predict spots. The Weather Channel includes data points from proprietary models, official government sources worldwide, Weather Underground’s network of 60,000+ personal weather stations, and now crowd-sourced weather reports via mobile app.
- Prepare for pollen, no matter the season – Keep up with the latest pollen counts and information, including direct pollen alerts available.
- Plan for ski season – Get powder reports, lift schedules and more with the ski report for relevant nearby resorts.
- Stay safe in severe weather – During extreme events, your entire app will change to tell you the full story.
- Be alerted when it matters most – Get notifications for severe weather and rain in your area, or high pollen counts in locations that matter to you.
- Get global language support – For the first time, The Weather Channel App for Windows Phone is available in 40 languages.
Going beyond just a superior forecast, users can now also get the science behind the weather and the stories around it with the app, as well as multiple widget options for your home screen. The app still gives current conditions and forecasts you trust, past and future radar maps, severe Push alerts and badges for your area, the latest news and videos, and global language support.
The Weather Channel App for Windows Phone gives you all the information you need – and gets your input – to help enjoy your best day outside with the most accurate and actionable forecast available. After all, when you see the world through weather, “It’s Amazing Out There.”
This redesign follows last year’s efforts by The Weather Channel team to create a consistent look and amazing user experience across its product suite. The new Windows Phone redesign mirrors the best of a new look for weather.com and The Weather Channel Apps for iPhone, iPad and Android. The new look is for true weather enthusiasts who want a full view of the weather with the expertise, technology, scale and storytelling of The Weather Channel.
Let The Weather Channel App for Windows Phone help you plan your day. Check it out at the Windows Phone Store.
The Weather Company: Where the World Gets its Weather
Through The Weather Channel (weather.com) and Weather Underground (wunderground.com) brands, The Weather Company provides millions of people every day with the world's best weather forecasts, content and data, connecting with them through television, online, mobile and tablet screens, as well as third-party publishing partners via API. Through WSI, the company delivers superior professional weather services for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. The Weather Company is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit www.theweathercompany.com.