Interactive weather forecasts and severe weather warnings now available for Smart TV audiences
London, UK (February 4, 2014) – Samsung today announced The Weather Channel® as the latest partner to land in its Smart TV store, Samsung Apps. The new App features live TV streams, detailed local weather forecasts, severe weather reports plus the latest videos and user-generated content, delivering the most up-to-date and reliable weather information to Samsung Smart TV viewers .
Content within the new Smart TV App is displayed in an easy-to-use, intuitive interface with background images themed to the live weather conditions. What’s more, as the weather app evolves in 2014, it will include voice and motion control, providing viewers with an even greater interactive experience.
Key features of The Weather Channel® Smart App include:
- Live TV streams directly on the Smart TV App during severe weather events
- Maps feature radar and cloud map layers, displaying up to five hours of animation, with zoom in and out functionality for Samsung Smart TV models made from 2012 onwards
- Severe weather alerts and notifications on-screen
- Current conditions, as well as hourly, 36-hour and 10-day forecast detail, including a 10-day graph displaying both the forecasted and the average high and low temperatures
- Latest videos and user-generated weather-themed videos
- Weather-triggered images, themed on predicted weather type for each day/period
- Ability to save up to 10 cities as favourites
Guy Kinnell, Head of TV and AV at Samsung Electronics UK & Ireland, commented: ‘’From being a conversation starter through to how it will affect our journey into work, as a nation we’re often fascinated by the weather. By adding The Weather Channel® App to Samsung Smart TVs, we are providing viewers with the most accurate weather updates on the biggest screen in the home, along with the most interactive and immersive Smart TV viewing experience."
“We are incredibly excited about our partnership with Samsung and look forward to continuing to enhance our initiatives and building products that take advantage of the progressive features of Samsung's latest operating systems,” said Nicolo Mascheroni Stianti, Managing Director, EMEA, The Weather Company. “Today’s announcement further strengthens our position as a multi-platform operator as we continue to deliver our hyper-local, content-rich offering across Europe.”
The Weather Channel® App will join an ever-growing collection of services available on Samsung Smart TVs such as Spotify, Rightmove, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. With more than 650 Apps now available to download on the Samsung Smart Hub in the UK, Samsung has the best range of content including full catch up services, BBC iPlayer, Demand 5, 4oD and exclusive to Samsung, ITV Player.