App Offers Active Participation in Weather with Immersive Motion Sensor Interface
ATLANTA – The Weather Channel® today launched a new app for Leap Motion™, bringing a true weather experience through motion-sensitive devices. Leap Motion controllers allow consumers to use finger and hand movements in the air to interact with computers in natural and dynamic ways. The Weather Channel App for Leap Motion features weather information specific to a pinpointed location as well as a look at weather across a 3-D globe within the immersive interface offered by Leap Motion. The app, now available for free through Leap Motion’s Airspace™ App Store, offers current conditions, four-day forecasts and multiple weather layers.
“At The Weather Channel, we are always exploring new ways to share our fascination with the weather through the latest technologies. This is what drives new innovations and products for our fans,” said Kevin Doerr, senior vice president of digital products, The Weather Channel. “Leap Motion gives us a platform that will offer our fans a completely different type of interaction with the weather and their individual forecast."
Features of The Weather Channel app include:
- A world of weather – Get an immediate view of weather throughout the planet to see what patterns will affect areas most important to you. Rotate the 3-D globe and zoom in to choose favorite locations, or select a city by typing it into the app.
- Time-lapsed weather – Control a time dial with your finger to show weather up to 72 hours into the future.
- Hover selections – Choose what you want to see by pointing your finger and hovering over locations.
- Severe alerts – Hover over alert icons to see when and where severe weather is expected.
- Weather details – Get current conditions including temperature, humidity, precipitation, wind speed and direction and forecast details for up to four days.
- Weather layers – Sort how you view weather by using layers such as radar, severe weather, cloud, infrared or rain/snow.
“Our mission is to remove the barriers between people and computers to realize the potential of both,” said Michael Buckwald co-founder and CEO of Leap Motion. “But we’re not doing this alone. The new app from The Weather Channel underscores the organization’s forward-thinking nature since the app offers an entirely new experience to explore the weather around the world quickly and easily, with a simple wave of the hand.”
The Weather Channel App for Leap Motion is one of the first ventures by The Weather Channel Labs, which hosts The Weather Channel brand’s bigger and emerging ideas so that more adventurous fans can dive in and help push the boundaries that exist in weather products today. Leap Motion consumers will be able to view global weather patterns in a very interactive way. After all, when you see the world through weather, “It’s Amazing Out There”, as stated by the brand’s new tagline.
The introduction of The Weather Channel App for Leap Motion extends the technology leadership and innovation of The Weather Company, known for the most accurate weather forecasts across screens – whether television, web, mobile, tablet or emerging platforms. Leap Motion consumers can check out The Weather Channel app from the Airspace App Store, or check out a video here: http://wxch.nl/18kHTw4.