ATLANTA – The Weather Channel has created unique and exclusive weather experiences via an app designed for the latest Samsung Galaxy smartphones, including the Galaxy S7 edge, S6 edge+ and Note 5. The Weather Channel App for Samsung is now available via the Samsung Galaxy Apps store. The co-developed app has already launched on Galaxy smartphones and will then broaden to other platforms including Gear S2, tablets, SmartTVs and more. The Weather Channel is part of the Made for Samsung program, and the app will be part of Samsung merchandising in the Galaxy Apps store, and soon in the Gear Apps store.
“We were inspired by the opportunity to work with Samsung across its entire suite of devices in order to create industry-leading, differentiated products for Samsung users,” said Domenic Venuto, general manager, consumer division, The Weather Company. “We build products that use weather to provide tremendous value and help users make decisions, save time and get on with their day.”
Exclusive features available on the smartphone app
With a focus on design and storytelling to help plan a consumer’s day, the development team also used sound design for the first time in market. Exclusive features include:
- Smart Weather Wakeup - a forecast-triggered alarm clock that knows when weather will most affect users and gives them more time to get where they’re going.
- “Floating shortcuts” - offer users home screen shortcuts with direct access to the most important weather information to them, such as current conditions, hourly or daily forecasts, radar, local video, share features and alarm.
- Samsung-exclusive backgrounds - beautiful weather-triggered imagery taken from Samsung phones changes based on local current conditions. Check out the current design theme, with folk street artist Kyle Brooks (aka BlackCatTips).
- Edge-compatible alerts - Precise alerts warn of upcoming real-time rain, severe alerts, or breaking news. Coming soon are forecast alerts, pollen alerts and more.
“Via our co-dev app program, we work with some of the best digital brands to provide our Galaxy owners with great content,” said John Pleasants, executive vice president at Samsung Media Solutions Center America. “Weather is such a personal, necessary and ever-changing story, it’s natural to continue working with The Weather Channel.”
The Weather Channel App for Samsung will have the same great features users have come to expect from the leading weather app, such as a dynamic home screen that tells users when weather is heading their way and what it means to them. Users get current conditions and hourly, 15-day or weekend forecasts; social reporting, fast-loading radar maps, weather widgets and The Lift mobile morning show.
A smarter alarm clock
The Weather Channel App for Samsung will feature the all-new Smart Weather Wakeup alarm clock function within the app’s settings. Research shows about a quarter of people check weather right when they wake up, so an alarm is a natural fit for people on the go as they start their day and are looking for the information most important to them.
Users can set up an alarm within the app, with the option of choosing to get woken up a few minutes earlier when there’s rain or snow in the forecast (fog coming later). For even more personalization, users can decide how to wake up, including:
- Weather videos - Learn what weather awaits before getting out of bed with locally relevant, accurate and up-to-date Local Forecast Videos generated on demand for a user’s specific location. Then watch short, snackable bites of the latest weather news, nature and science stories with The Lift, America’s first mobile-only morning show.
- Weather sounds - Wake up to sounds that signify the weather conditions outside your window, designed specifically for the app. This is The Weather Channel team’s first time incorporating sound design into its products, which is rare in apps.
Additionally, The Weather Channel Watch Face for Samsung Gear S2 will offer current conditions, forecasts for the next few hours, severe alerts, sunrise and sunset updates.
The Weather Company, an IBM Business
The Weather Company, an IBM Business, is the world's largest private weather enterprise, helping people make informed decisions – and take action – in the face of weather. The company offers the most accurate, personalized and actionable weather data and insights to millions of consumers and thousands of businesses via Weather’s API, its business solutions division, and its own digital products from The Weather Channel (weather.com) and Weather Underground (wunderground.com).
The company delivers up to 26 billion forecasts daily. Its products include a top weather app on all major mobile platforms globally; the world’s largest network of personal weather stations; a top-20 U.S. website; the seventh most data-rich site in the world; one of the world’s largest IoT data platforms; and industry-leading business solutions.
Weather Means Business™. The world’s biggest brands in aviation, energy, insurance, media, and government rely on The Weather Company for data, technology platforms and services to help improve decision-making and respond to weather’s impact on business. For more, visit www.theweathercompany.com.